Sunday, December 18, 2005

Bagel Bake Bites

So I'm happy because I had a chance to try out one of the recipes I've been collecting for the "Egg Thing" chapter. Everyone knows Egg Thing - its that casserole-y kind of dish that you put together the night before, chuck into the fridge and then bake the next day for a yummy breakfast with little early morning effort. Anyhoo, this one does not make cut. The egg part is really, really good: a little (real) bacon, eggs, milk, cheddar, fresh parsley. The part about the bagels cut into 4 slices and then soaked in this goop overnight doesn't work well at all. They were mushy, oogy and caused a very soppy mouth sensation. Not one for the book. However, I would like to try the custard part with something else to see if it works better. Another Egg Thing recipe I have features croutons which works scrumptiously. I'll have to give this a little thought to see what I can come up with. The custard would be good rolled into some sort of savory danish-eque type thing. Maybe that's the next iteration....

By the way, I promise photos soon. I gotta figure out how to transmit from my phone to the fancypants new computer and then I'll be even more multimedia.

No comments: